Monday, July 30, 2012

Yippee! Another Monday Made It!


It’s Monday folks! Normally, I wouldn’t be all that excited about a Monday. But, Mondays this summer have been all about the crafting and creativity – even when I was blog stalking and not participating! A big thank you to Tara at 4th Grade Frolics! Makes a Monday much more manageable…

So here we go with my Monday Made It(s) for the week.

Back when I was just stalking reading all these amazing blogs, I found these adorable letters on 4th Grade Frolics:

Since I have been working hard to revamp my classroom, I couldn’t wait to make myself a set. I (finally) found the letters at Michael’s and used a cute scrapbook pad that has a bunch of coordinating geometric patterns and colors. I traced the letters onto the back of the scrapbook paper, cut each one in half and used Mod Podge to put each half on each letter. I put the ribbon across the middle, and added another layer of Mod Podge…I tried to be patient and let it dry first! I even added a little flower sticker onto the ‘R’ because I thought it looked cute.

 Now I’m just trying to figure out where to hang these in my room…once I find the perfect place I will take a picture! I’m really working on making my classroom a more inviting place to learn and grow this year.


Ok, on to Monday Made It number 2! Unfortunately, my idea inspired by Teri at A Cupcake for the Teacher turned into a failed Monday Made It. :-( See how cute Teri’s Box Top Holder turned out??


Ok, well mine started off with a plastic jar that I found under the sink in my classroom. Lord knows how long it had been there, but I knew I could repurpose it! So, I dragged it home, washed it up and it has sat here ever since waiting for a project. As soon as I saw Teri’s ADORABLE holder, I knew that my jar had a reason for living again! AND, I would get to incorporate my BFF, Mod Podge. 

I gathered up my Mod Podge, my cute scrapbook paper and my jar and set off. I cut a section of paper to fit around the middle.
Then I started slathering each side of the jar in Mod Podge. I stuck the paper onto the jar, one side at a time, carefully pressing down so that the edges would be flat.

Except the edges won't go flat. At all. Because the corners are rounded. 

I thought maybe I could cover it with ribbon, but no such luck. 

SO. Now I have a very sad, paperless jar, which will not hold Box Top in a cute way any time soon. :-( 

On a happy note, I am currently on the lookout for a different jar (WITH FLAT SIDES) to cover with cute paper and make into a fabulous Box Tops Holder!

Ok...that's it for today! Head over to 4th Grade Frolics to check out what other people (successfully!) made this week!

9 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your READ letters. I made some too, but I have no idea where I am going to hang them! Why didn't I think of using scrapbook paper? Probably because I am not that crafty! :)

    Good luck on your box tops project!

    Blessings of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! I only used scrapbook paper because I totally was copying someone else! LOL I am having a hard time deciding where to put mine too...if I have a good idea, I'll be sure to share!

      Nichole

      Delete
  2. Both look great! I may have to make something similar for my box tops!

    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Layla! I'm hoping that whatever I come up with for Box Tops turns out half as cute as Teri's!

      Nichole

      Delete
  3. Your letters came out cute! What if you put paper on the inside of the container for your box tops? You could maybe stick it on with double sided tape. Just a thought!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I might have to try the inside...I'll have to do some serious soaking to get those pesky stickers off though! Thanks for stopping by!

      Nichole

      Delete
  4. Hi Nichole! Just wanted to stop by and say that I LOVE those "READ" letters...I haven't worked with Hodge Podge but this looks like a nice project that I would love to do in my last couple weeks before school starts...Thanks for visiting my blog and now I'm your newest follower, yay!

    Miss Milton's Memoirs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charell! It was a good project to use the Mod Podge on, and I also used it to fancy up some clipboards which was a good start with it too! It is the best stuff! :-)

      Thanks for visiting AND following!

      Nichole
      Craft of Teaching

      Delete
  5. I love how your READ letters turned out! I made my box top container out of an old Tide Pods jug. I didn't cover it all the way. I just cut out cute "flower" looking circles and used my cricut to write box tops on it. It turned out cute and it'll hold A LOT of box tops! I also made one for pop tabs too because we collect them as well for the Roland McDonald House.

    Good luck on finding another container!

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting! I would love to hear your ideas and feedback, so leave me a comment below! :-)