Monday, December 31, 2012

Year In {P}review Linky Party!

I'm sure you've all seen the many linky parties going on around here lately! 'Tis the season to party!

I'm not so good with resolutions, so luckily I found Michelle's linky party on her blog, Making It As A Middle School Teacher!


I'm all about looking ahead...sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down and live in the moment! This was the perfect linky party for me....


Let me explain a few of these!

Personal Read: I am rereading Little Women. It even sounds weird when I type it, but it's been fun revisiting such a great book. :-)

Life Event: We actually celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last summer. But we decided to save up and take a trip that would be adventurous and super-fun! So, it's combined with...

Vacation: We are going to Iceland! I know that sounds weird too...but I highly recommend googling some images of Iceland, and then you will probably see why we are heading there! Plus? They have some AH.MAZ.ING. hot springs. 'Nuff said.

Professional Goal: I am tired of the distractions that bombard me that have nothing to actually do with my class of 4th graders. I am going to work really hard to prioritize them and their needs above other extraneous nonsense.

Personal Goal: "Expand my horizons" sounds SO cheesy! But, I mean it. This goal started in 2012 when my husband bought a Groupon for a paint-and-sip class on a whim. Since then, we have been looking for new and interesting ways to step outside our comfort zone and learn more about our world. Next up? Swing dance lessons! And scuba classes! Woohoo!

Favorite Upcoming Lesson: Geometry tends to be one of my favorite subjects to teach in math...I love that kids who might struggle in other areas of mathematics can really shine here. We always start by sorting, comparing and contrasting shapes to determine the attributes that each one has or must have. On that note...I finally put something for sale in my TpT store.

I am super excited...and way nervous at the same time! I put together some shape cards with ideas for activities and a couple of graphic organizers. It's for sale in my store right now. If you are getting ready to teach 2D Geometry, go check it out and see if you might be able to use it. :-) Just click the picture below...

PS This will be on sale, in honor of the New Year, starting today!
 
Ok...I think that about covers looking ahead...bring on 2013!

Don't forget to go link up with Michelle and share what you are looking forward to as well!


12 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your professional goal, that is one thing I need to keep in mind for the new year too. I'm your newest follower, I'm looking forward to seeing your Iceland pictures. Have a great new year.
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy! Thanks for stopping by...what a fun linky. Hopefully, we can all keep each other accountable for meeting our goals!

      Happy New Year!

      Nichole

      Delete
  2. I am a new follower as well! I also do D5, but I teach second grade. I will e-mail you the rubric that we use for D5 if you are interested. Iceland sounds like fun!
    Good luck with all of your 2013 endeavors!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary! Thanks for following! I would love to see your rubric...it's the one piece of D5 that's missing for my kiddos right now. Thanks so much! craftofteaching@gmail.com

      Happy New Year!

      Nichole

      PS I'm heading over to your blog right...now!

      Delete
  3. Hello Nichole, it's Deniece from Little Piggy Reads.
    The closest I'll ever get to hot springs in Iceland is Arkansas!
    I haven't begun Daily 5 it's my goal for next year. Right now I just do "stations". They are working out pretty well, they have been video taped this year as a teaching tool. But, I want to incorporate the Daily 5.

    I have 2 things "for sale" at TPT, everything else is FREE. I just hate charging a teacher $$. But hey, I've made about $10 so far...haha. The only things I charge $$ for are things that take me more than 2 hours to make.

    Your new blogger friend,
    Deniece


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniece! Thanks for stopping by...I bet Daily 5 will weave in perfectly with your stations. You'll have to let us all know how it goes!

      This whole TPT thing is so new to me...I love everything over there! I hope I can add a few more things - especially some cute new freebies I'm working on!

      So glad we're bloggy friends now!
      Nichole

      Delete
  4. Iceland sounds very exciting! I'm right with you about prioritizing those distractions. Sometimes I feel like the kids need to go home because I have so much other work to do. Isn't that awful? Have a happy New Year and a wonderful trip.
    Chrissy
    First Grade Found Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Chrissy! I often think that I could get so much more work done if those darn kids weren't around! LOL

      Happy New Year to you!

      Nichole

      Delete
  5. Piles. Piles. BEGONE, PILES.

    Nope. They are still there. :/

    Iceland. Iceland? THAT IS AWESOME. We'd better get some pictures.

    And I had to stop and think about all your math stuff. I can do decimal order with the older kids cause hello, it's a win win for a real life number line and them being able to FIND THEIR OWN BOOKS. And I'm working on integrating some simple graphing into some of our reading activities. But egads I do not have a mathematically inclined mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wishing since I left school that those piles won't be there when I get back. We'll see, I suppose! LOL

      There will OF COURSE be pictures of Iceland. I think the hubby and I might actually be posting on his blog while we are there? We'll see!

      It took me SOOOO LOOOONG to start enjoying math, but it's still a struggle some days!

      PS How's the meal planning going?

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for linking up with me!

    I LOVE your blog design! So cute. :) Iceland sounds amazing. Have fun!

    ~Michelle
    Making It As A Middle School Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting such a great linky! And thank you for the compliment...Megan at Bird in the Hand Designs did it for me! I love it!

      Happy New Year!

      Nichole

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting! I would love to hear your ideas and feedback, so leave me a comment below! :-)